Tuesday, May 15, 2018

The Quiet Palaces of Men

My buddy came over
brought us Cuban cigars to smoke together
and to let me know his company
needed some writing help again
another job
I love making money
with my hands and my words
and with friends

We sat in the yard
with plywood on saw horses as a table
my hair is greasy
I have no one to shower for right now
my clients love me how I am
dirty and precise
the way I fill in imperfections in wood
they never would have noticed
they give me their house keys
trust what's behind my eyes
these people really see the kind of man I am
it is humble work
blessed as it gets

My buddy and I drank a Tecate Light
smoked our Cuban cigars
talked about an older man in Wyoming
how he turned his barn into
the most beautiful man cave
with extra sheets on the futon
and a deer cleaning station
ready with butcher paper and a freezer
and we talked about women
how the pathos is beautiful
but left uncontained will
turn into a forest fire on a windy day
it will burn down relationships
how without the logos in charge
life turns to chaos
quickly and consistently
then my son interrupted him from the porch
and I told my son not to interrupt
when an older man is speaking
and he quietly obeyed and waited his turn

We pontificated about the stark beauty
of Baja Mexico
of catching 40 pound tuna
and taking shits under the stars
in a bathroom palapa
just 3 walls with the open side
facing the Sea of Cortez
and we talked about Loreto
and it's grand and sleepy Mission
that monks built out of stone 300 years ago
how we see ourselves as older men
living in one room casitas
on a beach in Baja
with a place to clean fish
a place to cook
and a group of Mexican men
to shoot the shit with everyday
barely saying a word.

No comments:

Post a Comment